Lab Engineer Life Sciences
What you will do
As Lab Engineer you provide support in developing biological assays (e.g. ELISA, PCR methods, etc) and contribute in chemistry related activities (e.g. surface coatings). You will conduct experimental research using existing and novel clinical diagnostic technologies.
- Assist in the execution of experiments, support experimental work related to surface chemistry and bioassays under supervision or guidance of a senior scientific researcher or project team.
- Optimize design of experiments, independently perform tests in the lab, and interpret results.
- Collect and analyze scientific data leading to valid conclusions and report accurately on test results.
- Construct, modify, calibrate, operate, and maintain equipment used for performing your experimental work.
- Independently performs tests in BSL1,2 and 3 clinical labs using good laboratory practice.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
The best candidates for this supporting lab position have:
- a background in (bio)chemistry, (bio)engineering or related field.
- a master’s degree with >2 years of experience in the optimization of biological assays (esp. protein, enzyme and nucleic acid related tests).
- prior experience in industry, in working with experimental set-ups and surface chemistry and characterization (these all are bonuses).
- a strong motivation to perform experiments in a laboratory daily.
- a special interest in novel technologies and chemistries.
- the eagerness to learn and the motivation to take up new challenges.
- no need to compete with others, but to work together as a team, using strong communication skills.
- an open mind to work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural team of imec researchers, PhD students and industrial researchers.
- an excellent knowledge of English.