Researcher for Virtual System Platform Development
What you will do
In semiconductor industry, system scaling is the ultimate driver of technology scaling. There is a paradigm shift of CMOS Roadmap from transistor to system-performance expanding technology strategy beyond fundamental CMOS innovation. System-Technology Co-Optimization (STCO) is an attractive option where scaling at logic cell level will be complemented by scaling at a global system level. STCO involves the system (for example Server, board and CPU/SoC) to be disintegrated, and subsequently reintegrated more densely or efficiently by using imec integration technologies. The fundamental challenge in STCO is to find useful system level modules that can benefit immensely by enablement novel integration with next generation of logic and memory resulting optimization of power, cost and performance for targeted application domains.
To explore such an optimization path, a framework needs to be built that can capture the benefits of such technology solutions at a system level –providing further knobs for continuing the scaling path:
- Imec has a strong research program to enable 10-100X more energy efficient system performance for targeted application domains (AI/ML), AR/VR), enabled by its extensive semiconductor process and circuit knowledge.
- Changing the underlying technology for AI accelerators not only improves energy efficiency dramatically but will also call for novel system architectures, spanning from SSD and DRAM to the compute core architectures, potentially across multiple accelerator nodes.
- You will explore the power, performance and area (PPA) of dedicate Machine Learning and AI architectures to benchmark them in imec’s Machine Learning technology offering
- Teaming up with various experts inside imec, you will explore and benchmark design and architecture trade-offs for new technologies to enable compute-in-memory for machine learning, computational memories and building a flexible and programmable digital system around it.
As a researcher for Virtual System Platform Development, you will be responsible for:
- Establishing and maintaining a virtual platform for evaluating STCO-driven optimizations (ML accelerator, new memory concepts, beyond-CMOS logic devices)
- Exploring novel chip and system architectures to enable technology development, leveraging imec’s computational memories
- Modeling and simulating new architectures to analyze critical trade-offs and bottlenecks. You abstract away the lower level details and capture the essential traits that will determine power and performance
- Interfacing with imec’s circuit and algorithm experts to understand requirements and constraints for computational memory arrays for machine learning
- Driving imec’s system view on AI accelerators built on top of its technology solutions
- Generating and securing IP
- Keeping up-to-date on recent developments in the field. You do this by studying literature and interacting with your colleagues.
- You will maintain and build links with imec’s industrial and academic partners and follow up joint research projects with them.
- You will help drive imec’s technology and system architecture roadmap to build the fundamental platform for evaluation of System-Technology CoOptimization techniques pursued in relevant research programs.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. In this role, you will have the chance to define help drive imec’s technology and architecture roadmap to evaluate high-impact system elements and identify system elements to technology opportunities.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You obtained a PhD or several years of experience in computer architecture research.
- You have experience with the system architecture modeling and research.
- We value your experience with
- SystemC - TLM or other high-level fast modeling tools
- Embedded software development
- Machine Learning and AI algorithms
- Python programming skills
- Gem5/architecture simulator development
- You work in a structured, transparent and accurate way.
- You are a constructive team player and actively share experience and knowledge with colleagues.
- Your networking skills, creativity, persistence and passion for what you do are highly valued.
- We are looking for your excellent communication skills in English, as you will work in a multicultural team and closely with our partners.