Performance Optimization of GaN IC Technology
What you will do
While today’s GaN power devices are offered as discrete off‐the‐shelf components for various voltage and current ranges, the full potential of the technology is not exploited. Reason for this is that the devices are not customized to the application and the use of discrete components introduces interconnection parasitics that prohibits the switching at highest commutation speed.
Especially the transient signals at the gate are a real concern. GaN power devices being lateral HEMTs and lateral Schottky diodes, offer an opportunity for co‐integration, e.g. on an SOI substrate, of the power switching HEMTs, clamping and free‐wheeling diodes, depletion mode analog devices for monitoring circuits, and GaN driver stages. However, the co‐integration also introduces specific concerns for the performance optimization of the devices. This is because compromises must be made for the selection of the common polarization layer, passivation dielectrics and intermetal dielectrics below the field plates.
This post‐doc study will address the performance optimization related to the co‐integration of diodes and HEMT devices in the GaN ICs platform. In this role, you:
- will be embedded in the GAN-IC team
- perform electrical characterization of the co-integrated diodes and depletion mode devices
- analyze the data and discuss the results with the device and integration engineer to help defining new learning cycles for the optimization of the technology
- use an existing TCAD deck to simulate the two-dimensional distribution of potential, electric field and electron and hole concentration in order to help you with the understanding of the electrical characteristics,
Supervisor: Guido Groeseneken (KU Leuven)
Daily advisor: Thibault Cosnier (imec)
Type of work: 10% literature study / 60 % device design and simulation / 30 % electrical characterization
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You are an enthusiast PhD in Electronics Engineering or Electrical Engineering
- You have preferably a background in electrical characterization of the performance or reliability of electronic components, and/or a background in TCAD for semiconductor components
- Having a background specifically in GaN Power Electronics is certainly a plus.
This postdoctoral position is funded by imec through KU Leuven. Because of the specific financing statute which targets international mobility for postdocs, only candidates who did not stay or work/study in Belgium for more than 24 months in the past 3 years can be considered for the position (short stays such as holiday, participation in conferences, etc. are not taken into account).
Are you interested in this position and do you want to learn more about it, then you can talk to Stefaan Decoutere
If you want more information on the selection process, contact Serafien Dhondt from the Talent Acquisition team.
Click on ‘apply’ to submit your application. You will then be redirected to e-recruiting. We strongly encourage you to already discuss your interests with your manager. On the intranet, you can find more information on internal mobility.
If you know someone who could be the right fit for the job click on ’refer’.