COO for a single cell multi-omics start-up project by imec and VIB
What you will do
Imec and VIB join forces in a spin-off developing game-changing technologies for automated cell manipulation and multi-omics analysis enabling new insights in disease and other biological processes on a single cell level. To further develop this technology within a new spin-off company, we are looking for a proven leader in operations with an entrepreneurial and hands-on mentality to join as key member of the leadership team. His/her key duty will first be to contribute to the development of the business plan with a specific focus on product development cost and anticipation of product manufacturing costs. As the company grows, he/she will shape all operations of the company including manufacturing, procurement, quality assurance.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- By joining forces with IMEC and VIB, finetune business plan for investment and set-up of the company allowing a smooth transition into a corporate venture
- Together with the scientific teams at IMEC and VIB, manage the translation for user requirements into product specifications and organizing the product development roadmap
- Participate in hiring key resources to build a high performing and ambitious team.
- Make sure the full supply chain is implemented towards delivery of the end-product
- Define the design and production process in such a way that each step’s quality is verifiable, and each step can be transferred to production partners.
- Negotiate the contracts and maintain the relationships with industrial partners
- Ensure proper quality assurance and quality management
- Define and maintain the operations to implement the company strategy, steering the successful development of novel devices
- Build a culture of continuous improvement
- Tightly manage COGS through cost control, material usage efficiency, labor utilization and quality performance
- Provide constructive leadership to direct reports and with stakeholders across the team
- Plan and administer procedures and budgets
What we do for you
With the right background and the right mindset, this is a unique opportunity to join and shape a breakthrough venture in life science launched by two leading research institutions from its very creation!
You can build a dynamic team to make this spin-off a success. With your entrepreneurial, technical and managerial talents, you will have a huge impact on the achievements of this new venture.
Who you are
Our ideal candidate has experience in life science device manufacturing, prototype design and overall company operations and procedures, and the ability to work in a flat organizational structure as a peer/coach to other team members.
Besides this, we value:
- A Master’s degree in Life Science Engineering or equivalent, a PhD is a nice to have.
- Proven experience as enthusiastic, entrepreneurial COO or similar relevant leadership role.
- Willingness to put your shoulders under this new venture, knowing the risks of a spin-off.
- A strong interest in bridging engineering and life science.
- A strong interest in life science research tools and solutions.
- Having a spin-off mentality and love to working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment where multiple projects and priorities are executed simultaneously.
- Outstanding organizational and leadership skills, with a great ability to work under pressure.
- Strong drive for results and milestone achievement.
- A strong customer-oriented approach combined with product life cost efficiency.
- Strong negotiation skills and ability to close deals with big players.
- Self-motivation, flexibility, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- A C-level team player with excellent people management skills inspiring high performance and enthusiasm of the team.
- Excellence in relationship building and networking and proven conflict resolution abilities.
- Consultative interactions with key opinion leaders, potential stakeholders, manufacturing sites and other stakeholders.
- Strong presentation/communication skills.
- Fluent in English.
- Willingness to relocate to Belgium.