CEO for Medical Device Start-up
What you will do
As Imec is the trusted R&D partner of companies, start-ups and academia, research and innovation are in our DNA.
Imec combines longstanding leadership in microchip technology with in-depth expertise in software and ICT to lay the foundation of a more personalized healthcare, smarter cities, cleaner energy and more efficient mobility, logistics and manufacturing solutions.
A unique new sensing technology has been developed at imec, enabling new medical applications in ultrasound and photo-acoustic imaging.
To further develop this technology and successfully deploy it in commercial products, we are incubating it towards a new spin-off, NanoSound. Nanosound will market the innovative ultrasound probes to medical system vendors.
To lead this effort and the resulting spin-off, we are looking for an entrepreneur, with a background in medical devices or imaging technologies, preferably with a network in the ultrasound industry.
You will be leading the incubation towards an imec spin-off, working with internal stakeholders and discussing with industry players and clinical opinion leaders. You will initiate OEM sales of the probes. You lead the efforts towards incorporation, including securing the investment funding. You take up the role of CEO of the spin-off company.
Your key responsibilities during incubation include:
- Continue the validation of current technology and market needs assumptions, via discussions with both industry players and medical users.
- Further define the product development roadmap, refine the business model and the go-to-market strategy, and ensure alignment of short-term and long-term objectives.
- Leverage your network in the medical industry to identify new business opportunities and to develop strategic partnerships.
- Identify key resources to build a high performing and ambitious team and ensuring full engagement of the team for company success.
- Develop an exciting yet realistic strategy and business plan
- Oversee all operations and business activities to ensure they lead the company from incubation to incorporation.
- Raising the necessary funding from investors, before and after incorporation, will be a substantial and essential part of your role.
- Manage the P&L of the company.
- Analyze challenging situations and provide solutions to ensure company incorporation and growth.
- Build and maintain a deep knowledge of the markets and industry of the company.
What we do for you
You will have the opportunity to shape an innovative high tech spin-off which has the ambition to help improve the lives of patients through quicker and better diagnosis. With your sales, entrepreneurial, technical and managerial talents, you will have a huge impact on the achievements of this start-up.
Who you are
- You combine a scientific with a business oriented Master’s degree and you have a proven track record of at least 5 years in general management or 10 years in business development within the medical industry.
- You have experience with medical devices or medical imaging/sensing technologies, preferably ultrasound, so you are confident and credible in discussions with clinical opinion leaders in universities and research centers.
- Beyond your sales & marketing and/or business development talent, you are preferably experienced in strategy development, high-tech product management and general management.
- You have a relevant network in the medical imaging / medical devices industry and build lasting business relationships.
- Experience in building new high-tech start-ups from scratch is a major plus.
- Preferably, you are familiar with funds raising, both from government grants as well as private equity. Previous exposure to venture capital investors in North America, Asia and Europe is a strong plus.
- You have had international working experience with customers and partners in different geographies.
- You are experienced in leading and motivating teams.
- You have strong analytical, organizational and problem-solving skills.
- You are an excellent communicator and have strong public speaking skills.
- You are based or willing to be based in Belgium and willing to travel when needed.