SysOps / DevOps Engineer
As a high-tech research centre that is partially publicly funded, imec carries a responsibility to ensure local impact of the digital technologies it helps develop. The EDiT (“Enabling Digital Transformations”) department plays a leading role in realizing imec’s local impact by conducting demand-driven research & development, in collaboration with several authorities, imec departments, academic & other research institutes, companies, and citizen’s organisations. Our mission is to tackle so-called “wicked problems” in 3 main domains, or “clusters”: (smart) cities, mobility & logistics, and public health. The activities of EDiT are guided by our “Open for Impact” vision, which puts an emphasis on open knowledge, open source, and open data. Examples of our research programmes include City of Things, Mobilidata, Maak dat mee, Internet of Water, and a forthcoming public health initiative (tentative).
What you will do
imec is looking for a systems/development operations engineer to support the software developers in EDiT’s Cities cluster. You will be responsible for setting up and managing the staging and operational setups of the IoT and digital twin platforms and their building blocks using devops processes. Together with your teammates, you will be instrumental in the creation of an open platform system environment for building “Urban Digital Twins”, that ingest standardised IoT data, feed it to predictive models, visualise thousands of data points in 3D web clients, and work on new standards ensuring digital twin technology is interoperable.
- Deploy, maintain, and update Kubernetes clusters and services using helm and gitops
- Expand the Prometheus-based monitoring framework and Grafana dashboards
- Act and follow up on monitoring alerts (initiate a Network Operations Center)
- Configure and maintain Azure cloud services and track their costs
- Maintain DNS and X.509 certificates
- Assist in troubleshooting application issues
- Set up CI/CD pipelines using GitHub enterprise and Azure DevOps
- Write small scripts or services to automate or support certain operational tasks
- Some user account and access management
- Other (Linux) server administration & related tasks
Besides the Cities cluster, you will also join EDiT’s DEV competence centre, where we will provide coaching, arrange training, evaluate and fine-tune your role and responsibilities, and plan your path within EDiT/imec together. Additionally, through our EDiT Communities of Practice initiative you will regularly interact with other developers, architects, designers, and user researchers across EDiT.
What we do for you
EDiT is based at the imec offices in the centres of Ghent and Antwerp. You can choose from which of these two cities you prefer to work, and we have always been open to homework, as most of the team communication takes place online.
In exchange for your talent, passion, and expertise, you will join a multicultural and high-tech company, with challenges there for the taking. Our flexible and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. This is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. imec supports and guides you in this process; not only with words but with concrete actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we are actively investing in the further development of all our employees to assure their technical and personal growth. Your valuable contribution and that of your colleagues make imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of an attractive and competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
To strengthen our team we are looking for a junior or medior SysOps/DevOps engineer who …
- Has a bachelor’s degree in a technical domain, preferably I(C)T, computer science, or (applied) informatics;
- Likes to work in a continuously evolving and innovative environment;
- Likes to work in teams and with external partners to build trustworthy relations;
- Is flexible in traveling and can work autonomously taking the right initiatives at the right moment
- Has an eye for details and continuously aims for quality of operations, with dedication to optimize system up-time
“Must-haves” (essential skills):
- Container, microservice & infrastructure deployment technologies, primarily Docker and Kubernetes;
- CI/CD technologies (e.g. Azure DevOps, GitHub Actions, Bitbucket Pipelines, CircleCI, Travis, BitRise, Jenkins, etc.);
- Team player;
- English (professional proficiency).
“Should-haves” (a great candidate is familiar with most of these):
- MS Azure cloud ecosystem;
- Advanced deployment technologies Helm, Terraform, …
- Prometheus or similar monitoring technology;
- Grafana or similar dashboard technology;
- Linux server administration.
“Could-haves” (it is nice to tick a few of these boxes):
- Accustomed to Scrum or similar Agile process;
- Having made contributions to open source projects (please mention in your application!);
- Dutch (notions or intention to learn);
- Knowledge/experience of/with IoT stacks, smart city standardization, digital twin technology, data brokers, ...