Silicon Photonics Design Expert
What you will do
You will work in a team of photonic engineers developing photonic ICs (PICs) for a wide range of next generation applications in diverse domains including life sciences, communications, sensing, imaging and lidar. You will employ imec's cutting edge silicon photonics technologies to develop components and sub-systems with a focus on life science applications such as biosensing, optical coherence tomography, spectroscopy, flow cytometry, photo-acoustic sensing and imaging and so on.
As photonics designer, you will:
- Design, model and layout silicon-based photonic components, circuits and sub-systems
- Tape-out layout files to internal foundry team
- Setup design of experiments, analyse results and validate the components and (sub-)systems
- Communicate your insights to internal cross-functional teams, technology developers and external partners
- Propose new photonic concepts for existing and emerging applications
- Translate customer requirements into system concepts
- Continuously align with process, characterization, application and system experts
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
For this position, we are looking for a strong team player who is results-driven and strives for continuous improvement. Good communication skills and excellent knowledge of English are also required, as you will work in an international, multi-disciplinary and multicultural team and you will interact with external partners.
To qualify for this position, you have:
- a PhD in Photonics, Physics, Electrical Engineering or related field with at least 2 years of experience in silicon photonic design
- In-depth knowledge of integrated photonics
- Extensive expertise in design, optimization and layout of Si/SiN photonic components and circuits
- Experience with optical MEMS and actives design is a plus
- Hands-on experience with photonic modelling software (e.g. Lumerical)
- Hands-on experience with layout tools (e.g. Luceda Ipkiss, Cadence, L-edit)
- Good programming and scripting skills. Experience with Python is a strong plus
- Knowledge of experimental setups, characterization and packaging of PICs is a plus