Senior Venture Development Manager
What you will do
Are you our new colleague to join our team as Senior Venture Development Manager combining entrepreneurial spirit, business acumen and deep technology understanding?
Our venture development team is responsible for the creation of high-impact deep tech ventures based on Imec technologies.
In your new role, you are responsible to turn venture ideas and projects into successful spin-off companies. Together with the venture development team and various stakeholders, you define the venture’s business model, ensure the development of a solid product roadmap and business plan, hire the team and ensure successful fundraising – you are literally the interim CEO of your ventures until they are fully staffed and incorporated. Your prime area of focus will be on ventures with technologies rooted in electronics, electronic systems, semiconductors or photonics and optics.
You are responsible for helping to create the right environment and process to:
- Drive and inspire the submission of new venturing ideas into the venture funnel.
- Drive incubation of selected venturing ideas into a successful business by acting as the venture manager ad interim during the various stages of venture development.
- Successfully incorporate the venture, creating a win-win situation for all involved stakeholders.
- In some cases, you drive your case to a license deal or technology sale with an existing startup.
- Recognize promising ideas, establish win-win relations between ideas of different groups and encourage individuals to develop their ideas for entry into the venture funnel.
- Elaborate on imec’s technology breakthroughs and distill unique selling propositions addressing key market needs.
- Help identifying key technology risks and separate them from more simple engineering tasks. You help to build staged technology de-risking plans that drive down risk and drive-up value of the proposed concepts.
- Work with imec’s researchers to define the development plans for the venture and the incubation preceding it, extending from the core innovation to a full solution and product definition.
- Understand value of IP portfolio in the broader IP landscape–shape patenting strategy to strengthen defensibility of proposed business.
- Help to create excellent entrepreneurial teams for venture opportunities, identify high potentials for these teams inside and outside imec. You do this by extending and accessing the entrepreneurial network.
- Make sure the success factors of a scalable venture are well understood by the teams and applied to their case.
- Coach and mentor the teams to develop their business plans, get them selected by the investors and execute the plan.
- Help prepare the incorporation of the venture and negotiate with the various stakeholders involved.
- Help create an environment where entrepreneurship is encouraged and developed.
- Establish partnerships with internal and external parties to promote new business ideas based on imec technologies.
- Liaise with public and private funds to help prepare funding for the new initiatives.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- We appreciate your strong entrepreneurial, result-oriented spirit and ambitions and we value your background as a master or PhD in engineering.
- You demonstrate a strong technical expertise in one or more of the deeptech fields to which the position relates: electronics, electronic systems, semiconductors, or photonics applied in the fields of telecommunications, sensing, actuation, compute, displays or imaging.
- We are looking forward to your strong entrepreneurial background in a deeptech environment;
- Preferably, you participated in a senior role in a technology startup.
- Your demonstrated knowledge and experience of early-stage opportunities and translating technologies into businesses will be a great asset for us.
- We need your excellent negotiation skills for the negotiation cycles with our various stakeholders that often have conflicting requirements.
- You are talented in technology development, intellectual property protection, patents and commercialization from discovery to development.
- Because of your solid reasoning skills, you can assess and understand the key attributes of technologies, products, markets and teams that lead to successful startup companies.
- We need your talent to adequately judge problem situations and opportunities, recognize priorities and act accordingly in a flexible manner. You demonstrate operational excellence, by taking actions, coordinating, driving and assisting decision processes and paying attention to detail.
- You possess strong verbal and written communications skills and use this during presentations and your interactions with our customer and business.
- You are an inspiring manager able to drive adhesion to daring projects and visions with all stakeholders required to launch a venture.
- You have the right coaching skills to help develop the entrepreneurs taking part to the venture.