Senior Researcher on Causal AI
University Antwerp - Research Group IDLab Antwerp
The Internet & Data Lab (IDLab) is an imec research group at the University of Antwerp and Ghent University. IDLab focuses its research on internet technologies and data science. IDLab is a joint research initiative between Ghent University and the University of Antwerp. Bringing together 300 internet experts, we develop technologies outperforming current solutions for communication subsystems, high speed and low power networking, distributed computing and multimedia processing, machine learning, artificial intelligence and web semantics. Within Antwerp, where you will work, the overall IDLab research areas are machine learning and wireless networking. IDLab has a unique research infrastructure used in numerous national and international collaborations.
IDLab collaborates with many universities and research centres worldwide and jointly develops advanced technologies with industry (R&D centres from international companies, Flanders’ top innovating large companies and SME’s, as well as numerous ambitious startups).
What you will do
- You will supervise a team of PhD students and researchers and empower them to grow into excellent researchers that are an expert in their field. The focus of this team is on causal learning, causal representations, and causal reinforcement learning.
- You will maintain an overarching roadmap for your team that leverages individual interests, with the scope of the AI Foundations & IDLab team.
- You will help in setting up and managing, both applied and more fundamental, AI-projects with multiple partners involved, with a strong focus on domains such as industry 4.0, logistics & mobility, sports, climate, sustainability, and health.
- You are able to translate the technical requirements of partners to technical challenges, and – together with researchers – define clear methodologies for addressing them.
- You follow up on progress within research projects and are able to communicate the work and the findings in reports and/or presentations to internal and external stakeholders. If needed, you are able to adapt the work or the focus where needed.
- You will work together with the other managers in teams and share our high ambitions.
- You will participate in research projects, mostly in collaboration with industry, on a national and international level.
- You have an affinity with research driven projects and AI research in general.
Who you are
- You have, a PhD degree, preferable in Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, or Mathematics.
- You should have a strong theoretical knowledge, complemented with a broad AI expertise.
- You should have an interest in causal and relational learning.
- If you have already a background in causality or relation learning, this is a strong advantage. Additionally, also a relevant background in health or earth sciences can be considered as an asset.
- You have knowledge/experience with managing and supervising team members
- You are able to explain the challenges of machine learning to a broad non-technical audience but also enjoy going really techy.
- Having experience with participating in national and/or international research projects is an advantage.
- You are a proactive problem solver and a team player with strong communication skills.
- You take ownership of your work and want to realize high ambitions.
- Your English is fluent, both speaking and writing.
Applications sent to us via email will not be considered.
More information about the research topic: firstname.lastname@example.org
More HR-related/administrative information: email@example.com