Research & development - Leuven | More than two weeks ago
Imec has developed successful offerings in silicon photonics through its Optical I/O R&D program, aimed at short-reach optical communications, and through wafer-level prototype fabrication services for customers in telecom, datacom, computing, bio-medical and sensing applications. These activities are growing and require the expansion of our team.
As a senior passive optical device designer, you contribute towards the development and characterization of our silicon photonics platforms (SOI and SiN). You also develop and implement passive devices for short-reach multi-Tbps optical interconnects (for example polarization management, WDM MUX/DEMUX) and to support the prototyping activities of our external customers with on-demand design.
- Define, implement, and document design methodologies for passive devices.
- Design state-of-the-art passive building blocks for imec silicon photonics platforms (SOI and SiN).
- Design state-of-the-art WDM mux / demux in the imec silicon photonics platforms (SOI and SiN).
- Design and maintain passive devices for process control and process improvement.
- Layout your design with the tools used in the team.
- Own the passive devices characterization in the test infrastructure (test procedure, data analysis and reporting).
- Build compact models to be used by circuit designers (internal and external customers).
- Share your expertise with your colleagues in the silicon photonics group.
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
- You have a Master or PhD degree and an excellent understanding of the physics of integrated photonics passive devices and knowledge of semiconductor manufacturing process and constraints.
- You have demonstrated experience with designing robust passive optical devices for example Si, SiN or SiO2, preferably in an industrial context.
- You have experience and are comfortable programming in Python, and with git.
- You have run large simulations to explore design spaces and evaluate device sensitivity.
- You master your simulation tools (Lumerical and/or RSoft) and understand the pro and cons of each simulation method.
- You layout your designs using a scripting language (like ipkiss from Luceda Photonics).
- You are curious, creative and rigorous.
- You have good communication skills in English to communicate with your colleagues in our multinational team and with customers.
Apply online at www.imec.be/jobs.