Scientific lead image sensor design
What you will do
Imec’s Sensors and Actuators Technology department is developing novel process technologies, devices, circuits and solutions to enable new applications. In this growing R&D activity, we are currently looking for a scientific leader for our image sensor activities. The focus will be to innovate on image sensor & pixel architectures beyond the limits of current image sensors – hyperspectral, SWIR, super high speed, embedded CCD-in-CMOS, Quantum Dots on Silicon, SPAD, etc
The mission of imec’s pixel and system design research group is to enable novel applications using transducers, sensors and actuators built with both silicon and thin film technology. The team is working on the design and characterization of the sensor and actuator arrays, its peripheral circuits as well as on system analysis.
We are looking for a creative and inspiring Scientific Leader, with profound knowledge of image sensors, from the physical behavior of the photo-sensor and the imager pixel over the integrated read-out circuits to the impact on the application level, who can define research directions, propose innovations, relate these to applications, lead projects, guide junior researchers including PhD students, and communicate to senior management.
In this role, your responsibilities are:
- Develop and propose new image sensor & pixel architectures
- Identify opportunities for industrial relevant innovation and new applications
- Contribute to key scientific results and drive scientific direction
- Take ownership of image sensor projects and guide and mentor project contributors
- Define and coordinate projects with customers
- Give essential input to direct roadmaps and drive IP creation
- Write and coordinate public funded projects
- Mentor and guide junior researchers, including PhD students and Postdocs
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
You have a broad view and good technical understanding of sensing & actuation technologies and applications, in particular of image sensor technologies, systems and applications. You have experience in driving collaboration, setting up and executing projects in multi-disciplinary, cross-functional and multi-stakeholders setting. You are a solid planner. You can handle ambiguity yourself and also motivate and steer the teams through it. You are passionate about innovation and motivated by deep and frequent contacts with others. You quickly understand new concepts, expand on current knowhow and innovate on the state of the art.
To qualify for this exciting position, you:
- have a PhD degree (or equivalent) and at least 5 years’ experience.
- have a strong background in image sensor technologies and systems
- have experience as project and as scientific lead. Having a track record of leading a research domain, including guidance of PhDs and postdocs is a must.
- have experience in project writing. You are organized and you can structure a complex project
- have excellent communication skills, that you will use to interface with internal and external customers
- can work according to agreed customer timelines and manage time efficiently according to the project schedules
- demonstrate a clear sense of ownership, take initiative and work on your own, while being part of a team
- are result-driven and flexible to meet deadlines with quality output
- are passionate about innovation and excellence
- inspire and align team members
- enjoy working in multi-disciplinary and cross-cultural teams;
The imec environment requires a good team player with customer-oriented communication and reporting skills. Given the international character of imec, a good knowledge of English is mandatory.