Researcher Surface Chemistry - Life Science Technologies
What you will do
Within imec’s Life Science department, our group’s R&D activities focus on the development of novel tools for diagnostic health care applications. The capability of placing biomolecules on nanoelectronics devices is of contemporary interest and is crucial for the advancement of lab-on-chip technologies. This involves customizing the surface chemistry used to bind the targeted biomolecules on the sensor surface and anti-biofouling treatments, in combination with nanoscale chemical and physical approaches to control the number and location of the deposited biomolecules.
Your primary role will focus on developing and optimizing interface chemistries and biomolecule assays adapted to imec’s technology platforms by tailoring the interactions between the molecules of interest and this for novel biosensor concepts combined with micro and nano-fluidics hereby making the assay compatible to advanced silicon technologies and high-throughput sampling. To immobilize biomolecules on various sensor surfaces you will explore and develop different nanoscale surface patterning methodologies compatible with the mass-manufacturing processes of CMOS technology.
You will closely interact with both device designers and process integration engineers for the development of novel devices, as well as biophysics and biochemistry researchers for molecular assay development. You will carry out your work in imec’s life lab, where you can work together with an international, multidisciplinary team.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You have a PhD degree in (surface)chemistry, biochemistry, chemical engineering, or nano-sciences.
- You have extensive and practical experience with state-of-the-art lab facilities for surface functionalization, surface characterization.
- Having knowledge of material properties and biosensing is a plus.
- You optimize design of experiments and conduct tests in the lab with great independency but in close and constructive interaction with other team members.
- You collect, analyze, interpret, and report scientific data leading to valid conclusions and keep abreast of cutting-edge methodology in the areas of surface chemistry and characterization for advanced biosensing applications.
- This requires that you are a result driven team-player with efficient planning, organizational and networking skills.
- In addition, you have good technical communication skills since you will work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural team of imec researchers, PhD students and industrial researchers. Given the international character of imec, excellent knowledge of English is a must.