Researcher in Photovoltaic Modelling
What you will do
Imec’s photovoltaic group, which is closely linked to Hasselt University, aims to help accelerating the renewable energy transition, and is an internationally recognized research group thanks to its expertise, track record, extensive industrial network, and new state-of-the-art photovoltaic lab facilities. The present position is in the Energy System team that focuses on the integration of photovoltaics in the energy system of the future and is located on the Energyville Campus in Genk, Belgium.
The focus points of the Energy System team are energy yield modelling of various (integrated) photovoltaic applications and the energy management of hybrid photovoltaic powerplants (combining photovoltaic generation with e.g. battery storage and hydrogen electrolysis), including short-term PV energy yield forecasting. In the last six years, imec has developed a patented and extensively validated physics-based PV system energy yield simulation framework. Combining the in-depth PV cell and module technology knowhow of imec with system simulation concepts and advanced computing approaches, the imec PV yield simulation framework reaches higher accuracy compared to commercial PV simulation software packages. Owing to these achievements, we have a variety of ongoing funded and industrial research projects to further expand the framework towards novel PV technologies and applications. It is our goal to further develop this simulation framework to support the clean energy transition through system and technology co-optimization.
In this role, you will:
- Take the initiative in research projects related to energy system modelling.
- Perform advanced simulations of renewable energy systems and develop new features to expand the capabilities of the framework.
- Generate creative research ideas with industrial relevance and deliver beyond the state-of-the-art research results.
- Participate as part of our Energy System team in multiple international projects.
- Follow the progress of other industrial and academic R&D groups and participate in international conferences and working groups.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at our new state-of-the-art energy research facilities located on the EnergyVille campus in Genk, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together with our partners in EnergyVille, we shape the technology that will define the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You have a master’s degree and 4 years of experience, or a PhD in Physics, Mechanical/Electrical Engineering, or Computer Sciences.
- You have experience in advanced multi-disciplinary modelling, preferably in the (renewable) energy domain. You are familiar with Python programming and machine-learning based modeling.
- You can easily integrate in a multidisciplinary team within a global context.
- You are a self-motivated creative thinker with an outstanding scientific/technical track record.
- You have the pioneering spirit to start novel research topics and the drive to excel.
- You take initiative and work on your own, while being part of a team.
- You can schedule your work according to deadlines and deliverables.
- You have good written and oral communication skills in English.