Researcher composite cathodes for solid-state lithium batteries
What you will do
The electrochemical storage team at imec is taking up the challenge to realize Li-metal solid-state batteries. These batteries will be able to deliver the high energy density, fast charging and long lifetimes desired by industry and their customers, from car manufacturers to consumer electronics. We are expanding this R&D activity with our industrial partners and are looking for a motivated researcher leading the work package on composite cathodes. The first generations of a novel nanocomposite electrolyte, more particular a composite material synthesized by a sol-gel process, have been invented and developed at imec and are demonstrated at cell level. Together with you we want to realize a controlled combination of this solid electrolyte with a powder-based cathode. This involves the evaluation of different methods of applying the solid electrolyte into the cathode and the adaption of the cathode architecture in function of the solid electrolyte recipes.
In this job, your main activities will be:
- Delivering inventive contributions to the development and optimization of the combination of cathode and nanocomposite electrolyte
- Setting out the experimental plans to timely achieve the targets defined in the technical roadmap
- Discussing and defending these experimental plans with other team members and scientific management
- Timely and accurate executing and analyzing of the experiments of these plans in collaboration with other team members, including researchers and process assistants.
- Regular and effective reporting of the progress to project management of imec and of our partners
- Ensuring good practice in the lab and setting up process and characterization protocols in your field of expertise
- Your main activities will take place in the imec labs at EnergyVille in Genk. You will make regular visits to the imec labs in Leuven.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology in the imec labs at EnergyVille in Genk, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
You have experience with multiple processing methods to apply gels and slurries. Furthermore, you are a self-motivated scientist or engineer, who seizes opportunities and is enthused by new challenges.
- You have a PhD degree in Science or in Science of Engineering, or equivalent by experience
- You have knowledge of and insight in multiple processing methods to apply liquid to gel-like materials (e.g. slot-die coating, dip coating, blade coating,...)
- You are knowledgeable of Li-ion batteries and electrochemical characterization
- You can be in the driving seat on a scientific activity, delivering input for experimental plans and roadmaps
- You have experience with the writing of project proposals
- You take initiative and can work independently, while you keep on consulting and discussing with a team
- You can plan your work and that of your colleagues according to your deadlines and deliverables
- You are result-driven and can meet quality output with stringent deadlines
- You can guide and motivate team members in their work
- You are creative and like to think with a team to solve problems
- You communicate and report effectively
- You are flexible to accept new challenges in the future, and to evolve together with the changing R&D demands of our high-tech environment
- You have an impeccable knowledge of English, given the international character of imec