R&D Engineer MOVPE GaN Epitaxy
The MOVPE technology is used at imec to epitaxially grow AlGaN/GaN based materials for power and RF transistors because of their higher critical electric field for breakdown and faster switching speed. It is expected that a significant power saving will be realized over the conventional Si power devices, thus contributing to the overall energy efficiency of power supplies, photovoltaic inverters, and many other power systems.
Key to all these applications is the growth of the GaN hetero structures on 200 mm Si, using metalorganic vapour phase epitaxy (MOVPE, also known as MOCVD).
To reinforce imec’s R&D in this field, we are looking for an experienced R&D engineer in epitaxy, who is eager to contribute to this technological challenge.
You are member of the epitaxy research group (EPI), which is responsible for developing growth processes in close collaboration with imec’s device integration departments. You work in a cross-functional team of about 15 people with whom you interact frequently. You will work in a dynamic multidisciplinary and multicultural environment in close cooperation with researchers, process and hardware engineers, equipment vendors, industrial assignees, device experts and integration experts.
What you will do
As an R&D engineer for epitaxial growth, you will be responsible for optimizing, maintaining, and documenting MOVPE growth processes of GaN and related materials. You will identify yourself process optimisation opportunities and coordinate the non-standard work.
More specifically, you will:
- Optimise and maintain GaN based epitaxial growth processes.
o Identify process requirements and opportunities,
o Interface with the epitaxy and device researchers to identify the future needs and trends,
o Timely execute process optimisation and development projects,
o Perform material and electrical characterizations of the grown layer stacks,
o Present and discuss your project results at team and program meetings,
o A big part of your practical work will be in the cleanroom.
- Actively contribute to the research programs and joint development programs with external partners.
o Coordinate and implement the non-standard work in imec’s fab organization together with fab process engineers and the pilot line.
- Utilize your engineering skills to enhance the team capability.
o Provide guidance to others on the level of methodology and processes optimisation,
o Report about your work to internal and external partners and turn new ideas into IP.
- Transfer the optimised processes to the engineering support and operational teams (“line releases”) or to our industrial partners (“tech transfers”).
o This includes documenting the processes, giving classroom and field trainings, and supporting the engineering support or industrial partners during their initial ramp up phase.
You will be coached on-the-job by a senior MOVPE scientist.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You have at least a Master of Science or Engineering in Industrial Engineering, Engineering Physics, Material Science or similar.
- For this role, several years hands-on experience in epitaxial growth is a must, preferably of III-V materials like GaN, GaAs or InP.
- Your experience on a MOVPE reactor, especially an Aixtron G5+ would be a big plus.
- You are an enthusiastic and creative team player with strong networking, communication and reporting skills who likes to work in a multicultural team of imec researchers, PhD students and industrial researchers and will have frequently interactions with clients.
- You have project management skills and a strong capability to work independently with a focus on quality for your deliverables.
- You enjoy working autonomously, you are well-organized, with a good attention to details.
- You are interested in working hands-on in a clean room environment.
- Given the international character of imec, we value your good knowledge of (spoken and written) English.