Principal Modeling Architect
What you will do
System Architecture innovations are key to position
imec for success in fast evolving workloads of tomorrow and to differentiate
imec’s process technology research with system level value propositions. The Compute
System Architecture Unit at imec leads research exploring futuristic
high-performance and highly secure RISC-V CPUs to extend imec’s semiconductor
research leadership into the next decade. This unit is responsible for
architecture definition of new CPU and accelerator capabilities, analyzing
emerging usage models, and building hardware and software prototypes for
data-driven computing hardware capable of exa-scale performance.
As we expand our research to better optimize computing
systems, we are looking for a Principal Member of Technical Staff to lead the
performance modeling of exa-scale systems. If you are a
technical lead with engineering expertise in CPU microarchitecture,
performance-model development, performance analysis, or workload analysis, we
would like to meet you. Our team plays a major role in crafting future
generation HPC CPU designs and the system architecture to enable for focussed
application domains (AI/ML, Quantum Computing). As a senior member of the
expert team, you will own substantial and challenging performance projects. This role works closely with partners to identify and customize infrastructure
and workloads to inform and influence future technology definition.
The objectives of the role more in detail:
- Building on a track record in microarchitectural innovation, propose new ideas, study them in cycle-accurate simulators, and estimate impact on power & area.
- Continuously grow expertise in CPU microarchitecture, including technologies such as cycle-accurate simulators, functional simulators, workload analysis, bring-up tools, and more.
- Advanced software engineering with a passion for design patterns, profiling, and programming in multiple languages.
- Continuous improvement through spotting opportunities and seeking the views of others.
- Collaborations with other members of the CSA team – primarily in Belgium - to help design imec’s future exa-scale compute system architecture for focussed application domain (AI/ML, Quantum Computing).
- Lend your expertise across all Performance sub-disciplines: microarchitecture and performance model development, microarchitectural performance analysis, RTL/performance-model correlation, workload analysis, and workload development.
- Engage with key partners at an engineering level to understand their future performance requirements, performance sensitivities, and workload expectations.
- Help develop the team and mentor young researchers.
- Interact with customers and other third parties to successfully communicate complex technical ideas, participating in internal and customer meetings.
What we do for you
offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers
in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent,
passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible
possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of
are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with
ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to
supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with
tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively
invest in your development to further your technical and personal
are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field.
Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive
salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- Master’s or Doctoral degree in Computer Science or Electrical/Computer Engineering.
- A minimum of 15 years of experience in microarchitecture-level performance modeling, CPU or system microarchitecture development, or workload/microarchitecture performance analysis (specific RISC-V architecture expertise is not required).
- An authority with microarchitecture at the level of CPU, system, and SoC.
- Hands on experience with modelling (functional and/or performance). Strong C++ skills / programming skills are a plus.
- Strong debugging and analytical skills to debug modelling / performance issues.
- Driven by curiosity and motivated by working in a dynamic team.
- You strive to achieve winning solutions and demonstrate enthusiasm, drive and diligence especially with your team and customers.
- You build positive relationships which are based on mutual trust, open communication and sharing of information and success. You give autonomy and encourage professional growth.
- Keen to bring long-term value to customers and partners.
- You collaborate, decide, commit, and bring people along with you.
- Open minded, you seek and embrace differences and you encourage curiosity and accept challenges.
- You have strong communication skills in English, allowing you to perform well in a multicultural team and in close collaboration with our partners.