Photonics Lab and Characterization Engineer
What you will do
Within imec’s Sensor and Actuator Technology department, our group focuses on integrated and flat optic systems by leveraging imec’s advanced manufacturing capabilities in technologies such as SiN, Si photonics and many more. We design and characterize PICs and optical systems to target various applications in diverse domains such as sensing for metrology or life sciences, beamforming for location, ranging or telecommunication, and flat optics for display and imaging.
We are looking for a motivated and skilled photonics test engineer to strengthen our research team. Your main responsibility will be to perform photonic tests and build, maintain and continuously improve various test setups for the characterization of photonic wafers, chips and modules.
In this job, your main responsibilities will be:
- Build, maintain and upgrade test setups for the characterization of integrated photonic circuits (PICs) and free space optical components and systems
- Perform (electro-)optical characterization of components and systems at wafer-level, chip-level and module level
- Work in close collaboration with designers and researchers to ensure the test systems meet the device test requirements
- Create and execute design of experiments
- Perform data analysis to extract parameters and performance metrics
- Provide test reports and present them to the research teams and management
- Provide guidance to design for testability
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- MSc or PhD in optical engineering, electrical engineering, physics or related field, or an equivalent qualification with 2+ years of experience in (integrated) photonics testing
- Solid background in photonics to debug and optimize test systems
- Hands-on experience with photonic test at wafer, chip and module level (both PIC and free space optical systems)
- Hand-on experience with fiber handling and the use of photonic test equipment (lasers, spectrum analyzers, power meters, polarization control, etc.)
- Hands-on experience with free space optical or imaging optic setups, and alignment of free space optics
- Experience writing software in C++, Python or MATLAB. Especially fluency in Python is a strong plus
- Experience with fiber alignment (edge coupling, grating coupling) and automation (active alignment, ... ) is a plus
- Knowledge of photonic devices such as waveguides, AWGs, modulators, lasers and photodetectors is a plus
- Strong analytical, troubleshooting, and debugging skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- You can work according to agreed timelines and manage time efficiently according to the project schedules
- You take initiative and work on your own, while being part of a team