Photonic and photo-acoustic characterization expert
What you will do
You will work in a team of photonic engineers developing photonic ICs (PICs) and systems for imaging and sensing applications, mainly based on photoacoustics (PA). This is a novel non-invasive sensing technique that relies on the photoacoustic effect: the formation of sound waves following light absorption in a sample. The combination of sound and light offers several advantages as compared to more conventional technologies such as a high penetration depth and a very low limit of detection. Potential applications are mammography, through-skull brain imaging, continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) and so on.
Using imec's cutting edge silicon photonics technologies, we want to bring photoacoustics to the next level. Key components (amongst others) are very sensitive opto-mechanical ultrasound sensors. These are integrated on-chip with photonic multiplexers, opening the way to new applications such as miniaturized catheters.
As photonic and photoacoustic characterization expert, you will:
- Plan design-of-experiments (DoE) for characterization campaigns to validate components and (sub-)systems
- Characterize PICs and on-chip building blocks including detectors, light sources, wavelength multiplexers, opto-mechanical components and so on using existing die- and wafer-level testers
- Carry out experiments at device and module level
- Design and build new characterization setups (photonic, electro-optic and opto-mechanic)
- Build imaging and sensing technology demonstrator systems
- Support the developments of the diverse system building blocks and interact with the team of experts
- Coordinate PIC packaging (optical, electrical)
- Participate in regular project meetings and contribute to reports and documentation
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
For this position, we are looking for a strong team player who is results-driven and strives for continuous improvement. Good reporting and communication skills and excellent knowledge of English are also required, as you will work in an international, multi-disciplinary and multicultural team.
To qualify for this position, you have:
- a PhD in Photonics, Physics, Electrical Engineering, or related field with several years of relevant experience
- In-depth knowledge of integrated photonics, especially in Si, SiN and III-V material systems
- Experience in photoacoustics and optomechanics is a strong plus
- Proven experience in building advanced characterization setups (photonic, opto-mechanic, electro-optic)
- Hands-on experience with photonic testing at chip, module, and system level
- Hands-on experience with fiber handling and the use of photonic test equipment (lasers, spectrum analyzers, power meters, polarization control, etc.)
- Experience writing software in C++, Python or MATLAB. Especially fluency in Python is a strong plus
- Experience with photonics and multiphysics design and simulation software (such as Comsol, Lumerical) is a strong plus
- Strong analytical, troubleshooting, and debugging skills
- You can work according to agreed timelines and manage time efficiently according to the project schedules
- You take initiative and work on your own, while being part of a team