Patent Portfolio Counsel
What you will do
Imec is in the top three of Belgian applicants of European patent applications. In this role, you will join our Patent Group as a Patent Portfolio Specialist for the IP Team that manages inventions in the field of electronic engineering. You will collaborate closely with world-class researchers in our R&D teams and support the various business leaders of imec. You advise about the patentability of inventions and when applicable, manage our external patent partners who will draft most of our patents. That way you manage and build strategic and relevant patent portfolios in nanotechnologies and systems. Within time, you are expected to autonomously provide a coherent intellectual property protection strategy and contribute to imec’s overall R&D and valorization activities.
Depending on your development path, you will get the opportunity to enjoy considerable autonomy in drafting, filing, and prosecution of patent applications in several worldwide jurisdictions.
What we do for you
In this role, you will join a top-class, enthusiastic, hands-on team of European/Belgian Patent Attorneys, Patent Attorney Trainees, Patent Information & Formality Officers. With your talent, passion and expertise, you will become part of one of the IP teams in the Patent Group.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process, not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in the development of your technical and personal growth.
We offer you an extensive training to gain a profound understanding of intellectual property rights with focus on (European) patent law. Under supervision, in line with your level of knowledge and experience, this training program will last several years and contains both on-the-job training and classroom trainings, in- and/or outside Belgium. Depending on your development path, skills and results, and after at least 3 years of hands-on experience in your role as Patent Portfolio Specialist, this training program can further evolve towards a specific training to become a qualified European Patent Attorney.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many benefits.
Who you are
The role of Patent Portfolio Counsel might be for you if you:
- have a Master’s or PhD degree in (Electronic) Engineering with a passion for nano-technology and related product/system innovations in various fields. This specific technical background is important to fully understand the inventions of your internal customers;
- love the opportunity to learn and grow in a job;
- like to identify imec’s need for IP counseling in various technologies;
- are a good listener and fast learner, who can take relevant decisions autonomously and handle ambiguity in an ever-evolving working environment;
- can liaise in a constructive and efficient way with colleagues, researchers, and R&D managers;
- can cope with a high work pace, handle a multitude of deadlines, and plan work efficiently;
- are a team player;
- like a multicultural and international organization;
- have very good English language skills, both orally and written.
The role of Patent Portfolio Counsel might even be better for you if you also:
- have system level understanding and knowledge of analog electronics and building blocks;
- have knowledge of IP and patent law;
- want to gain at least a passive understanding of Dutch.