Joint Communication and Sensing Specialist
What you will do
Imec's Advanced RF program targets wireless communication systems above 100 GHz, offering breakthroughs in throughput, energy efficiency and reliability. This is possible thanks to the wide bandwidth and the easier integration of a large number of antennas at those frequencies, and it builds on imec's strong hardware expertise. In parallel, sensing solutions based on radar techniques are also designed at those frequencies where they can offer better resolution, and synergies between both activities are investigated under the Joint Communication and Sensing research direction.
The candidate will connect wireless communication and radar domains above 100 GHz in order to investigate synergies and propose new solutions where sensing applications can be achieved using the communication infrastructure while environment monitoring can enhance the communication performance. Solutions will be investigated from simulated algorithmic concepts to hardware demonstration.
To support those activities, imec is looking for an expert reinforcing its wireless communication systems team. The candidate should have a MS in electrical engineering, and a PhD or 5 years of research experience in wireless communications. He/she should have expertise in wireless communication signals and physical layer DSP algorithms including multiple-antenna processing. Expertise in wireless propagation, in physical-layer modeling and simulations, in radar systems, in optimization techniques and/or in machine learning is a plus.
The candidate is expected to tackle the following tasks:
- Review state-of-the-art in the joint communication and sensing field and identify areas where imec can have a key contribution.
- Propose, develop and test innovative solutions where sensing can build on communication infrastructure and improve communication performance.
- Manage software simulation environments (primarily Matlab or python) used to simulate joint wireless communication and sensing systems.
- Disseminate results towards publications, patents, and deliverables to external partners in funded or bilateral industrial projects.
- Interact with other members of the systems team and also interface with other teams focusing on analog RF circuits, semiconductor devices, and lab prototyping, in order to aim at larger achievements as a cross-disciplinary team.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You have a master or PhD degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Proven knowledge and experience in wireless communications and radar domains.
- Deep understanding of wireless signals, DSP algorithms and multiple-antenna concepts.
- Expertise in wireless propagation and multi-dimensional system optimization.
- Experience with Matlab and/or python for physical layer link simulation.
- Enthusiastic and “always improving” mentality.
- Self-motivated, innovative, results driven, and a team-player
- We appreciate your open mind and multi-disciplinary attitude.
- Given the international character of imec, good knowledge of (spoken and written) English is a must.