What you will do
We are looking for an Environmental Data
Scientist at our OnePlanet Research Center in Wageningen and Nijmegen,
Netherlands. You will work in a diverse and multidisciplinary team of
electronic, environmental, biomedical, and biochemical system engineers, as
well as data scientists, chemists, and biologists, researching and developing
innovative solutions for environmental sensing and agriculture. Your activities
will include initializing and performing data science pipelines for
environmental sensing, as well as designing and developing machine learning, statistical,
or other computational models to process raw data from OnePlanet’s novel sensor
technology into intelligent insights.
Your main responsibilities involve:
- Develop, test, and deploy machine learning pipelines in a cloud computing environment (Azure).
- Collect, clean, and curate existing and new datasets.
- Design and develop data-driven approaches to calibrate sensing networks and preventively maintain them.
- Build and maintain (Git) repositories of efficient, reusable, and reliable scientific code.
- Promote and coach appropriate software engineering techniques and practices among OnePlanet’s scientific developers to further grow our code base.
- Keep an up-to-date overview of novel machine learning approaches. Identify the ones that should be used and/or further researched and developed for OnePlanet’s activities.
- Optimize algorithms to tackle computational constraints in machine learning pipelines. Validate the results in field studies.
- Actively advise and take part in the experimental design and execution of studies and data collection campaigns aimed at validating models. Improve digital data pipelines and overall project chain in collaboration with the team.
- Regularly communicate both the achievements and the challenges you face to the team, receiving and providing feedback.
- Proactively prepare and publish selected OnePlanet’s research in scientific articles and conferences.
What we do for you
We offer an energetic and international
environment at the forefront of technology, in a network of renowned industrial
customers. This is your opportunity to bring new technologies to the market and
to make an impact on tomorrow’s society.
OnePlanet Research Center is a
multidisciplinary collaboration agreement between Wageningen University &
Research (WUR), Radboud University, Radboudumc and imec. Imec Nederland, as an
employer of choice, offers you an attractive compensation and benefits package
including a 100% employer paid pension plan and flexible working hours. We value
and support diversity. Furthermore, imec-NL offers a wide range of training
By joining the OnePlanet team, you will be
part of a team of world changers, disruptive innovators, and practical
thinkers. Here, your ideas will make an impact on our future lives.
Who you are
You are a data scientist with the following
experience, skills, and background:
- Ph.D. (or MSc degree with 3+ years of experience) in Environmental Science, Earth Science, Chemistry, Robotics, Electrical or Electronic Engineering, Computer Science, or Applied Mathematics.
- Hands-on experience with machine learning and/or data engineering on time series data is a must.
- Solid experience with Python is a must.
- Experience with Git for version control and for developing reusable code.
- Knowledge of MATLAB, R, or C++ is a plus.
- Experience with (chemical sensors) signal processing and algorithm development.
- Experience with working on environmental datasets is a big plus.
- Proven experience in data projects deployed at production level is a big plus.
- Experience in machine learning techniques for sensor networks is a big plus.
- Able to deal with ambiguity in an uncertain research process. You see change as an opportunity to learn and grow, and you adapt the research course considering boundary conditions and resources at hand.
- Hands-on attitude, which means you take initiative, think proactively, have a flexible attitude, and enjoy solving problems.
- Team player with good communication skills and the ability to give quality feedback.
- Excellent English language skills (written and spoken).
Does this position sound like an interesting next step in your career at imec? Don’t hesitate to submit your application by clicking on ‘APPLY NOW’.
If you have more questions about the job and the recruitment process, you can contact Mayuri Nalawade, Talent Acquisition
will be happy to assist you. You can reach her by email at email@example.com. If you wish to
apply, then please submit your full resume, and include a motivation
You can read more
about us via https://oneplanetresearch.nl/