Senior R&D Engineer: Electronic System Architecture
Who we are
Within the imec Solutions department, we build application-oriented prototypes around unique imec chip-level technology. Together with the component experts, we innovate at the system level to bring these imec technologies to the next level and to bridge the gap between research and industry. A system here is composed of an innovative microchip or sensor, combined with custom or off-the-shelf electronics, optics, mechanics, fluidics and both embedded and application specific algorithms and control software. Our mission is to demonstrate and validate these systems in a relevant environment and generate valuable data for our customers. We are building a multidisciplinary team that has expertise in system engineering, mechanics, electronics, optics, software, product development and quality systems.
What you will do
In this job, your main activities will be:
- Your broad electronics knowledge allows you to translate and document abstract application requirements into electronic system requirements.
- You perform the design of electronic architectures starting from requirements, also taking firmware and/or software requirements into consideration in cooperation with other design architects. You succeed in aligning existing prior art, building blocks and customizations towards the customer application needs.
- Your tasks include market screening of COTS (commercial off-the-shelf) building blocks, to select and evaluate critical components, electronic parameter calculations, principal circuit simulations and schematic design, board technology and layout specifications documentation, create architecture validation plans.
- You take ownership during the whole design and development cycle, guarding that requirements are fulfilled and maintained from kick off to delivery working closely with a team of specialized engineers under your guidance. As an electronic design architect, you are one of the technical reference persons in a project.
- You work intensely together with colleagues within the Electronics Team and other Solutions teams, our customers (imec or industry) and with members of the project team. Next to that, you have frequent contacts with partners and suppliers.
- You report efficiently to all stakeholders: customers, management, engineering team, project partners, and you are result driven and want to get the job done.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You have a master’s degree in electrical or Electronic Engineering or similar.
- You have a strong background in electronic architectural design.
- You have in-depth knowledge with at least 5 years of relevant experience in one or more fields of expertise:
- Analog front end design with focus on linearity, stability, high dynamics, and low noise with integrated multichannel ADC/DAC with highspeed serial or parallel interfaces.
- Digital hardware designs with focus on FPGA SoC, FMC mezzanines, PXI, Ethernet, USB, PCIe, SerDes, ...
- Interfaces using Gigabit links and high-speed data busses: Transmission line design & debug, Signal integrity and Jitter Noise analysis.
- Power Design and Integrity for on-board POL designs or HV drivers/bridges (low power and noise critical implementations).
- Board Technology specifications for Rigid or Flex Designs, ASIC packaging and wire bonding for Chip-on-Board or Interposer designs.
- Knowledge of a V-model approach in a system development cycle is an asset.
- Basic knowledge of firmware or software development principles is a plus.
- Affinity for project and milestone planning is a plus.
- You work professionally, structured, striving for the objectives to achieve and deliver high quality.
- You enjoy working in a multicultural team.
- You have excellent communication skills that allow you to report efficiently to management, to motivate the engineering team and to involve partners to the project.
- You speak/read/write fluently English. Knowledge of Dutch is a plus.
Apply online at www.imec.be/jobs.