Development Engineer Metal Anodes for Solid-State Lithium Batteries
What you will do
The electrochemical storage team at imec is taking up the challenge to realize Li-metal solid-state batteries. These batteries will be able to deliver the high energy density, fast charging and long lifetimes desired by industry and their customers, from car manufacturers to consumer electronics. We are expanding this R&D activity with our industrial partners and are looking for a motivated engineer actively participating in the development of the solid-state electrolyte and in the cell integration and assembly. The first generations of a novel nanocomposite electrolyte, more particular a composite material synthesized by a sol-gel process, have been invented and developed at imec and are demonstrated at cell level with a Li metal anode. Together with you we want to further develop this anode, reducing its weight and volume while keeping its cyclability high.
As a development engineer, your main activities will be:
- Discussing and suggesting experimental plans with other team members and experienced researchers to timely achieve the targets defined in the technical roadmap
- Timely and accurate executing and analyzing of the experiments of these plans in collaboration with other team members, including researchers and process assistants.
- Regular and effective reporting of the progress to project management
- Ensuring good practice in the lab and setting up process and characterization protocols in your field of expertise
Your main activities will take place in the imec labs in Leuven. You will make regular visits to the imec labs at EnergyVille in Genk.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
You have experience in the deposition of thin films and their electrochemical characterization. Experience with Li-ion cell technology is a plus. Furthermore, you are a self-motivated engineer, who seizes opportunities and is enthused by new challenges.
- You have a master’s degree in engineering or in Science of Engineering, or equivalent by experience
- You have hands-on experience in chemical and processing labs
- You have experience in the deposition of thin film materials both from vapor phase (e.g. sputtering, ALD,...) and liquid phase (e.g. spin coating, electrodeposition...).
- You have knowledge of electrochemical characterization methods (e.g. CV, galvanostatic and potentiostatic measurements,...)
- You have preferably knowledge of and insight in the operation of Li-ion battery and Li metal battery cells
- You take initiative and can work independently, while you keep on consulting and discussing with a team
- You can plan your work according to your deadlines and deliverables
- You are result-driven and can meet quality output with stringent deadlines, Experience in taking an active role in industrial projects is a plus.
- You are creative and like to think with a team to solve problems
- You communicate and report effectively
- You are flexible to accept new challenges in the future, and to evolve together with the changing R&D demands of our high-tech environment
- You have an impeccable knowledge of English, given the international character of imec