Development engineer for controlled processing of solid-state electrolytes and all-solid-state cell
What you will do
The electrochemical storage team at imec is taking up the challenge to realize Li-metal solid-state batteries. These batteries will be able to deliver the high energy density, fast charging and long lifetimes desired by industry and their customers, from car manufacturers to consumer electronics. We are expanding this R&D activity with our industrial partners and are looking for a motivated engineer actively participating in the development of the solid-state electrolyte and in the cell integration and assembly. The first generations of a novel nanocomposite electrolyte, more particular a composite material synthesized by a sol-gel process, have been invented and developed at imec and are demonstrated at cell level. Together with you we want to further develop this nanocomposite electrolyte and demonstrate its performance in all-solid-state battery cells.
As a development engineer, your main activities will be:
- Contributions in the development and optimization of nanocomposite electrolytes and of Li-metal solid-state cells
- Discussing and suggesting experimental plans and results in consultation with other team members and experienced researchers
- Planning, executing and analyzing experiments in collaboration with other team members, including researchers and process assistants
- Ensuring good practice in the lab and setting up process and characterization protocols in your field of expertise
Your main activities will take place in the imec labs at EnergyVille in Genk. You will make regular visits to the imec labs in Leuven.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology in the imec labs at EnergyVille in Genk, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
You have experience in electrochemistry, material science and sol-gel chemistry. Experience with Li-ion cell technology is a plus. Furthermore, you are a self-motivated engineer, who seizes opportunities and is enthused by new challenges.
- You have a master or PhD degree in Engineering or in Science of Engineering, or equivalent by experience
- You have hands-on experience in chemical and processing labs
- You have knowledge of and insight in the operation of Li-ion and Li metal cells; experience in their assembly is a plus
- You have experience in the characterization of solid-electrolyte materials.
- You have experience with sol-gel synthesis of templated inorganic materials; experience of surface chemistry and functionalization is a plus.
- You take initiative and can work independently, while you keep on consulting and discussing with a team
- You can plan your work according to your deadlines and deliverables
- You are result-driven and can meet quality output with stringent deadlines, Experience in taking an active role in industrial projects is a plus.
- You are creative and like to think with a team to solve problems
- You communicate and report effectively
- You are flexible to accept new challenges in the future, and to evolve together with the changing R&D demands of our high-tech environment
- You have an impeccable knowledge of English, given the international character of imec