What you will do
We are looking for a Data Engineer at our
OnePlanet Research Center in Wageningen and Nijmegen, Netherlands. You will
work in a diverse and multidisciplinary team of electronic, environmental,
biomedical, biochemical, and system engineers, as well as with other data
scientists, chemists, and biologists, developing digital solutions for
precision agriculture. Your main responsibilities involve:
- Building, testing, and maintaining data pipelines on our cloud infrastructure (Azure) to collect, store and process data from sensors, remote systems, and other open-source systems/databases. Building connections to remote sensing systems and providing automatic control/feedback. Develop, test, and deploy machine learning pipelines in our cloud environment (Azure).
- Using suitable data structures, implementing appropriate databases and schemas, and setting cloud services for diverse types of data, including tabular data, time-series, and images.
- Collect, clean, and curate existing and new datasets. Implement methods to provide clean and easy access to data scientists, researchers, and engineers.
- Setting up environments for data scientists and machine learning engineers (e.g., Databricks, VMs, compute instances, container and cluster orchestration). Coordinate the administration and maintenance of cloud infrastructure together with cloud developers and architects.
- Deploying prototype applications, dashboards, and visualizations.
- Building, testing, and maintaining (Git) repositories of efficient, reusable, and reliable code. Properly document the systems being built so that these can be easily used by data scientists and other engineers in OnePlanet.
- Promoting and coaching appropriate software engineering techniques and practices among OnePlanet’s scientific developers to further grow our code base.
- Optimizing algorithms to tackle computational constraints in machine learning pipelines. Validate the results in field studies.
- Actively advise and take part in the experimental design and execution of studies and data collection campaigns aimed at validating models. Improve digital data pipelines and overall project chain in collaboration with the team.
- Regularly communicate both the achievements and the challenges you face to the team, receiving and providing feedback.
- Proactively prepare and publish selected
OnePlanet’s research in scientific journals and conferences.
What we do for you
We offer an energetic and international
environment at the forefront of technology, in a network of renowned industrial
customers. This is your opportunity to bring innovative technologies to the
market and to make an impact on tomorrow’s society.
OnePlanet Research Center is a multidisciplinary collaboration agreement
between Wageningen University & Research (WUR), Radboud University,
Radboudumc and imec. Imec The Netherlands, as an employer of choice, offers you
an attractive compensation and benefits package including a 100% employer paid
pension plan and flexible working hours. We value and support diversity.
Furthermore, imec-NL offers a wide range of training possibilities.
By joining the OnePlanet team, you will be part of a team of world changers,
disruptive innovators, and practical thinkers. Here, your ideas will make an
impact on our future lives.
Who you are
We are looking for a Data Engineer with the
following experience, skills, and background:
- MSc title with +3 years of experience in Computer Science, Data Science, Software Engineering, or related fields.
- Working experience in Data Engineering and cloud technologies and services (Azure, AWS, Google Cloud, IBM Cloud).
- Solid experience with Python.
- Experience with CLI, bash, PowerShell.
- Experience with Git for version control and for developing reusable code.
- Able to deal with ambiguity in an uncertain research process. You see change as an opportunity to learn and grow, and you adapt the research course considering boundary conditions and resources at hand.
- Hands-on attitude, which means you take initiative, think proactively, have a flexible attitude, and enjoy solving problems.
- Team player with effective communication skills and the ability to give quality feedback.
- Excellent English language skills (written and spoken).
These additional skills and experiences are
considered as nice-to-haves:
- Experience with machine learning pipelines and MLOps.
- Knowledge of web front-end and back-end frameworks.
- Knowledge of machine learning algorithms and methods for validating and evaluating machine learning applications.
- Experience with IoT in control systems or automatic control.
- Proven experience in data projects deployed at production-level.
- Experience in developing and maintaining data pipelines and databases for sensing systems/networks.
- Experience with developing and deploying dashboards/web applications.
- Knowledge of open and indoor farming systems.
Does this position sound like an interesting next step in your career at imec? Don’t hesitate to submit your application by clicking on ‘APPLY NOW’.
Have questions about the job and the recruitment process? Please contact Mayuri Nalawade, Talent Acquisition
Specialist. She will be happy to
assist you. You can reach her by email at email@example.com. If you wish to apply, then please submit your full
resume, and include a motivation letter.