Customs & Trade Compliance Expert
What you will do
Imec’s Shipping department controls the movement and storage of assets and processes associated with transactions including worldwide shipping. The team is looking forward to welcoming a Customs & Trade Compliance Expert to monitor and optimise business processes for the movement of goods and to ensure customs compliancy. As the key contact person for external stakeholders such as customs authorities and agents and as primary contact for all import/export related internal departments, this is an interesting role for a strong relationship builder. Analytical and organisational skills are also required to convert best practices in an operational reality in our dynamic business environment. At imec, we believe in the combination of talented people and a world-class infrastructure to enable a prosperous and sustainable future for all. This is your opportunity to join this journey as Customs & Trade Compliance Expert!
Your responsibilities more in detail:
- Manage imec’s import and export business processes for shipments worldwide: adapt and optimise whilst diligently mitigating risks and balancing efficiency and cost.
- Proactively ensure that imec meets customs requirements. Advise on improvements and support with implementations of new/improved ways of working.
- Watch over the quality of data related to shipments, define critical performance indicators, document, report and advise to the management team.
- In collaboration with Export Control and Legal, manage shipping (mainly air freight) of dual-use goods and technologies.
- Represent imec as a reliable partner for national and local custom authorities and public institutions.
- Build a strong internal network with with (senior) managers and other experts in different departments (business development, sales, export control, production, legal, finance and the shipping department).
- As single point of contact, intervene when necessary to solve problems that will prevent delays of shipments.
- Provide up-to-date expertise on relevant international, European and national/local custom legislations and regulations.
- Attend customs and industry specific seminars to continuously remain up to continuously build expertise.
- Train internal stakeholders to support them in achieving the objectives of the organisation.
- Manage internal and/or external audits of the import and export processes.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- At least in possession of a bachelor's degree in logistics/customs/international trade/economics, such as Commercial Sciences/Logistics Management (or an equivalent practical work experience in the field of customs & trade compliance in an international environment) and 3 or more years of relevant work experience;
- You naturally take ownership and leadership in a matrix organization;
- Knowledge of European customs regulations and processes;
- A good knowledge of supply chain processes;
- Strong analytical ability and eye for detail and good process management skills;
- A deep interest in following developments/evolutions in the compliance profession;
- As the central point of contact, you are an effective communicator with good interpersonal skills. You can quickly build a good network with stakeholders in all layers in the organisation;
- Computer literate (Microsoft Office, SAP,...);
- Pragmatic and inspired by the search for simplifications and improvements in terms of efficiency and cost;
- Fluent in English. Knowledge of other European languages is a plus. As the team is based in Leuven, knowledge of Dutch is preferable.
Your experience and background is important, but we find your potential and ambition to grow even more interesting. If you are hesitant to apply because you do not meet all the criteria, bear in mind that imec can provide training to help you grow into your role.