Biophysical Ultrasound Characterization Engineer
What you will do
imec is undertaking an aspiring research and development effort to enable a new generation of ultrasound-based bio-medical systems. This effort aims to revolutionize the ability to non-invasively probe and interface with the central nervous system. We approach this moon-shot effort as an internal start-up for which a focused team is being composed, combining expertise in neurobiology, acoustics, electrophysiology and system prototyping. To reinforce our tiger team, we are looking for an entrepreneurial minded Biophysical Ultrasound Characterization Engineer.
Your main focus will be to challenge the novel probing and interfacing concept in an experimental lab setting, in vitro and in vivo, and as such steer the development of a novel acquisition system using a combination of physical modalities. Your goal will be to enable the detection of low SNR signals using high-sensitivity electronics and noise de-embedding techniques thereby pushing the boundaries of brain activity measurements. Your work will be closely interlinked with simulation work run by the Systems Architect to define the (sub)system requirements. To conduct your experiments, you will master novel measurement setups, designed and built with your input, and you will undertake high-precision characterization thereof.
As the project touches upon unexplored territory of human machine interfacing, you will be working in an iterative mode of de-risking pragmatically coming up with solutions as technical challenges and biological boundary conditions pose along the way.
In this job, your main activities will be:
- To conduct experimental measurements, you will design and construct an in-vitro ultrasound phantom setup.
- In close collaboration with your colleagues with expertise in Multiphysics and Neurobiology, you will translate the in-vitro setup into a setup suited for conducting in-vivo experiments.
- You will perform testing of low-noise electrical readout electronics with high-frequency multichannel acquisition systems.
- You will perform ultrasound characterization and data analysis of your experiments.
- You will maintain a high standard of literature knowledge to support your activities and contribute to IP asset creation.
- You will be given the unique chance to pioneer human machine interfacing using cutting-edge technology from imec, the world-leading R&D and innovation hub in nanoelectronics and digital technologies.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- Master’s or PhD degree in Physics, Biophysics, Biomedical, or Mechatronic engineering.
- Experience in biosensing and/or ultrasound technology is an asset.
- Good knowledge of and interest in Multiphysics measurement principles.
- Comfortable and/or experienced in conducting in-vivo experiments (i.e. small animals).
- Intermediate proficiency in Matlab and/or Python programming.
- This project requires an entrepreneurial mindset as it evolves in quick iterations.
- The imec environment requires a good team player with good communication and reporting skills.
- Given the international character of imec, a good knowledge of English is mandatory